Re: Problems with isrp_even message on token ring RH 5.0

I missed the original message, but it appears there are circumstances
when the open fails but still returns a zero return code indicating
success. When the driver tries to set up the next command it tries to
write to an area that is not available for write access. The adapter
traps this and interrupts with a 04 or 05 code in isrp_even. We should
not trust the open return code as the sole indicator of success and
should error out more gracefully. I have a patch for this at home.

As to the larger question of why the open fails, I am able to
reliably duplicate this with an IBM 16/4 adapter but haven't found a
determining factor yet. The probe and initialization seems to proceed
well and even after the unsuccessful open there are no error
indicators set by the adapter (at least in my test case.) I am
continuing to investigate this.