[linux-tr] unknown command 08 in arb

Hi,
I finally got my kernel (2.2.1) to recognize my 3com TokenLink III (Tropic
based with
dip-switches). When doing an "ifconfig tr0 192.168.2.4 netmask
255.255.255.0" I get the
message "unknown command 08 in arb" first time, but the interface seems to
be up, as well
as the routes.
As soon as I try to ping another machine on the ring or use the interface
otherwise (smb
broadcasts etc.) I get the above message several times again and then "Arrg.
Transmitter
busy" appears on my console.
Same machine, cables and configuration work well with my IBM-cards, only
those
TokenLink III don't work. The card itself is ok as I can use it with my DOS
Bootdisk.

Any ideas? Is there a variant of the tropic chip that is not supported?

btw: that arb-thing is the Adapter Request Block address of struct tok_info
in ibmtr.h

Thanks in advance...

Andre