TR-Adapter does not come back into the ring

I have a problem, which I suspect to a Novell FS attached
via TR. I get plenty of cron jobs hanging around an the
system is unacessible as it cannot fork anymore. Only
the console terminal is functional. The DF command does
never return. When I did a ifconfig tr0 down all problems
vanished. Unfortunately the TR does not come back to the
ring on on an ifconfig tr0 up. So I have to reboot the
system. I compiled the TR driver into the kernel! I cannot
believe that this works as designed. Can anybody comment
this behaviour? Should I use module technique to assure
that I can bring the TR adapter back into the ring?

Thanks

Dieter