Re: Token Ring IPX routing in Linux

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, John R.Mulcahy wrote:

> Q. Is it possible to route the IPX that Win95 uses through a linux router
> running ipxd (ver 7.0) -is a uptodate different version available?
>
> the ethernet side uses the 802.3 frame type and it appears with its
> address when I do an ifconfig
> eth0  Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:C9:1C:28:CE
>       inet addr:167.201.5.144  Bcast:167.201.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
>       IPX/Ethernet 802.3 addr:00000002:00A0C81C28CE
>       UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>       etc.

Yes, it should be.  Someone just the other day mentioned that they were
running with two ethernet cards and one token ring nic doing IPX routing.
What kernel are you using and have you added any patches, such as the
multiple adapter patch?

> Q. The tr0 side I start with the 802.2tr frame type. Is this correct ?
> because no IPX stuff appears in ifconfig for the tr0 device.
>
> And how do I manually enter the routes using ipx_route at the moment they
> read like
> Network    Router_Net   Router_Node
> 00000001   00000002     08005A837210
> 00000002   Directly     Connected

Is there already are active IPX network on both your token ring segment
and your ethernet segment or is one of these going to be a new IPX
network?  It will need to have its own IPX network address and all that.
The easiest is always if there is already a network on both sides, because
then you can just do somethig like 'slist' and see what netware servers
show up and where (if you have any).

> Q. I have no idea what they are supposed to look like. Is there sample
> examples out there?

It's been a while since I've used the ipx tools, so I apologise for being
so vague, however, it should configure just like ethernet as long as you
use the 802.2TR frame type on the token ring nic.

> Q. Finally will this ipxd run happily along side gated?

Yes, it should.  AFAIK, gated will only operate on IP frames.  They
shouldn't get in the way of each other.

I'll try and find some more info for you later tonight.

Mike