Re: IBM Token Ring adapter II

> The not recognized one is for a 16-bit slot, and has a SUB-D and
> another connector (don't know the name).

It is most likely an rj45 connector like Ethernet.  If it is an adapter
like this, it is either the AUTO adapter or the Turbo adapter.  I don't
_think_ they made any other adapters that were non-streamers that had the
RJ45 connect but I could be wrong.  Wait, yes I am.  If it doesn't have
switches on it, it is either the Auto or the Turbo adapter.  :)  If it
still has switches on it, it's probably close to the same adapter you have
in the 8bit slot and I am pretty sure I know which one you mean (and have
used it with Linux).

I do not have a hardware manual around for the token ring cards.  I need
to track one down - I don't work with token ring as much as I used to.  I
have always used the settings:

UDUUUDDDUUDU - which will configure it for a 16Mbit ring.  Not sure
anymore what the IRQ and Mem is on that either anymore.  Sorry - just have
the switch pattern engraved into my head.  If you have a 4Mb ring, I think
you need to switch the last switch to D.  (U=up D=down BTW).  See if that
helps any.  It may or may not depending on your system configuration.

> Does Adapter/II mean, that the cards can only be used in 4 MBit mode
> (But there is a green sticker on the card stating 16/4)?
> Has anybody a description of the DIP switches of these cards?
> Which of these numbers on the silver and black chips can be used to
> determine the type of the card?

If it has a 16/4 sticker, and is the card that I am thinking of, it should
go 16Mbit fine.

> After insmod ibmtr I tried to ping myself, but ping just tells me:
>
> PING my.host (<my IP #>): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
>
> The card is not yet connected to a network. Is this the problem?

Yes, it is definately a problem - if you do a 'dmesg' the kernel is most
likely spitting all kinds of errors out at you every few seconds as it
tries to insert into the ring.  Get it onto the ring, make sure that the
routes are configured properly and then try a ping.

Mike

---
 "There isn't any reason why Linux can't be implemented as an enterprise
  computing solution.  Find out what you've been missing while you've been
  rebooting Windows NT."  -- Eric Hammond (InfoWorld)

  ** Find Linux at http://www.linux.org/ or http://www.redhat.com/