Re: [linux-tr] Compiling w/o recompiling the kernel. *newbie* -Reply

Steve and Mike,

    I just tried to do some patches on the RedHat Kernel as well and the
jump from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6 to 2.2.7 using patches did not go well... Lots of
weird errors. So I just grabbed the whole Kernel and everything went smooth
after that. I don't think RedHat includes the entire kernel tree in the 6.0
distrbution.

Kevin

>Since I'd like to upgrade the kernel anyway, any ideas why 'patch <
>Makefille.diff' would choke? I get the error message:
>
>[root@sjfox net]# patch < Makefile.diff
>can't find file to patch at input line 3
>Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
>The text leading up to this was:
>--------------------------
>|--- Makefile.orig  Tue Apr 27 09:58:01 1999
>|+++ Makefile.mik   Tue Apr 27 10:00:39 1999
>--------------------------
>File to patch:
>

>I'm running it in the <linux source>/drivers/net directory. Are there some
>options I'm missing on the patch command?
>
>Steve Fox   8?)
>http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~sjfox (IBM Intranet)
>http://pcxtreme.org (External)
>

>"Mike Phillips" <phillim@amtrak.com> on 05/11/99 01:24:31 PM
>
>Please respond to linux-tr@emissary.aus-etc.com
>
>To:   linux-tr@emissary.aus-etc.com
>cc:    (bcc: Steve Fox/Rochester/IBM)
>Subject:  [linux-tr] Compiling w/o recompiling the kernel.
wbie*    -Reply

>Steve,
>
>I use the line below to compile the driver:
>
>gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/src/linux/includ
e -O2
>-m486 -c olympic.c -o olympic.o
>
>But this won't install the module in the correct place, won't set up module
>aliases, etc.
>
>Although RH6.0 is kernel 2.2.5 (I think) the patches should definately
work.
>They need to be applied from the /usr/src/linux/drivers/net directory. I
would
>recommend getting the driver compiled in at least once as a module. This
helps
>to set up system maps and symbols.
>
>In fact I would recommend getting a copy of 2.2.7 and using that instead.
You