Re: [linux-tr] PCI-cards

Just a note:

The Turbo ISA is not at all related to the PCI LANStreamer, or PCI
Token-Ring family of products. It's a Shared RAM card that uses a chipset
(Pinegrove) that is an evolutionary step based on the old Tropic chipset.
The "native mode" -- i.e. "Enhanced" mode -- on the Turbo ISA and PC Card
is not a busmaster mode; it just uses a different way of transmit and
receiving packets that helps speed throughput up to twice that of the Auto
16/4 ISA.

BTW: the Wake on LAN feature has nothing to do with the driver; it's a
hardware/microcode thing.  If the Wake on LAN adapter is connected to a
motherboard that has the right power connectors, the card will remain
active on the ring after the machine is powered off.  The card will listen
on the ring, waiting for a  magic packet.  When the magic packet is
received, it will "wake" the machine up by sending a signal to the power
supply.

Scott Parkerson <witsend@us.ibm.com>
NIC Device Driver Development @ IBM Network Hardware Division
Tel (919) 486-0837 / FAX (919) 254-9616

"Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence." -- Dijkstra

Paul Norton <pnorton@ccnusa.com> on 12/22/98 01:11:07 PM

Please respond to linux-tr@emissary.aus-etc.com