Re: [linux-tr] Token Ring Bug (This is good :-)).

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 10:49:32AM -0500, Michael R. Eckhoff wrote:

> And all this brings up something I've been curious about.
>
> If someone were to think the driver was total shit, write a new one, and submit
> it for inclusion into the kernel, what keeps them from doing it and knocking
> this driver out of the tree?
>
> Or what keeps them from writing a patch, such as for the source routing, which
> might cause more problems with the kernel than it fixes on the network?
>
> Is this a problem with the open source model of Linux?  I know you should
> always check the maintainers file and contact those people if you have
> modifications or changes, but what if you don't?

Linus will probably only accept patches that have gone through the official
maintainer.

This is a _benefit_ of the open source model - people try out all the
patches, fix the bugs that are inevitably in it and then we have a choice.

For instance if the shallow-mode is supported, it will probably be initially
buggy, but will eventually supercede the standard one.

Adrian

Adrian Bridgett <bridgett@hursley.ibm.com>
Internal: 7-245528  External: 01962-815528