Re: [linux-tr] Olympic driver not SMP safe

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 GIRARDJY@fr.ibm.com wrote:

> As Adrian wrote it, I posted a note in an IBM forum where I explained the
> following problem:
>
> I install RH6.0 on a netfinity 5500m20 ( 4 PIII) with a PCI TokenRing card.
>
> I upgraded the kernel to  2.2.11 (or 2.2.10 or 2.2.12pre5)  and applied the
> DJ Barrow patch (to make it SMP safe?)
>
> I telnet from my thinkpad to the netfinity, export the DISPLAY=thinpad:0
> and launch xosview/netscape and wait about 5 minutes ...
>
> The response time (ping) then reaches 4 to 8 seconds.  I have to restart
> the adapter to make it okay.
>
> I do not know what is wrong: either the olympic driver or the token ring
> layer and I am not able to correct it.  But I am ready to test any patch
> and ready to welcome anybody in Montpellier interested in debugging this
> problem :-).

I am quite willing to try and test any SMP patches as well. I have similar
problems with an old TropicChip IBM adapter. I just assumed that the old
ibmtr driver was not too happy with my SMP and left it at that. I was
considering obtaining one of the new PCI Olympic cards so that I can
connect my SMP box to the switch.

If someone knows which specific PCI Olympic card is the best one to obtain
let me know and I will happily begin testing...

> Jean-Yves GIRARD   Tel : +33 4 67 34 45 39 / Fax : +33 4 67 34 64 77
> ------------------------------
> PSSC EMEA Netfinity Center
> IBM France - Montpellier
>
> Subject:  [linux-tr] Olympic driver not SMP safe
>
> Someone here has posted saying that the PCI driver isn't SMP safe - are
> there any plans to make it so?  I'm sure we could find testers if you need
> some!
>
> Cheers
>
> Adrian
>
> Adrian Bridgett <bridgett@hursley.ibm.com>
> Internal: 7-245528  External: 01962-815528
> DM2E8, Hursley Park, UK    (Mailpoint 206)

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha  NE  68104